The West Kootenay Permaculture Co-op is a not for profit co-op incorporated in Janurary of 2014, which evolved from the Valley Permaculture Guild that originated in 2012.
The Board of Directors are all directly involved in our local food system. We are farmers, processors, retailers, educators, and industry consultants. We are all passionate about local food, agriculture and seeing our region’s food based economy improve.
Our AGM's generally take place in late spring, and most recent AGM was held on June 26 2017.
2017 BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Shauna Fidler Chair
| rbrand design | Graphic + Permaculture Designer
Colleen Emery Vice Chair
| Emery Herbals | Master Herbalist
Renata Crowe Treasurer
Jenna Hopper Secretary
| BC Certified Teacher | Permaculture Designer
Jordan Saunders Board Member
| treefolk | Permaculture Designer
Damon Chouinard Farm Advisor
Moriah Johnston Board Member
Dayna Fidler Marketing & Event Coordinator
FROM LEFT TO RIGHT:
Shauna, Jordan, Dayna, Colleen, Damon, Moriah, Jenna & Renata
WE ARE THE FOLKS BEHIND KOOTENAY FOOD!
You might recognize some of our other really great and often very tasty Kootenay Initiatives:
F3 is our annual food festival & forum! Aimed at helping to grow our Kootenay Food Economy by engaging growers & eaters in delicious new opportunities.
Since 2014 we have been offering this skill-building series with workshops covering tradition skills from soil building + seed sowing to fermenting + butchery.
Back by popular demand. This community canning celebration offers loads of free workshops, a preserve contest and a tasting panel!
The much loved annual Slocan Valley Garden Tour, got a delicious KootenayFood twist in 2017 by adding Farms, Food + a 'Beer Garden'
OUR COOP HISTORY
- Valley Permaculture Guild Formed (an organic casual group begin to share ideas and energies around permaculture principles + practice)
- Monthly skill-sharing + potlucks begin
- First Homesteading 101 Workshop
- 1st annual Pickle Palooza
- Slocan Valley Food Hub Event informs
Farm Food Fork
- Valley wide food surveys assess
community needs which informs the content for F3
- West Kootenay Permaculture Co-op Association Officially Formed
- Awarded funding to create a large food forum (F3) from RDCK + CBT.
- 1st Annual Farm Food Fork (F3) is a huge success. Event proceeds provide F3 bursary grants of $1500 to the creation of WEGCSS Foodbank Garden, the KBFPCo-op, & The Queen Bee project! Plus we feed over 400 people meals that were locally grown (In April) and we paid full and fair price to farmers.
- We Launch www.KootenayFood.com
- Homesteading 101 Workshops continue to grow
- 2nd annual Farm Food Fork - Raising the Steaks
- Development + Collaboration begins on creating a community food centre. Efforts focused on Winlaw Kitchen Site.
- The Co-operators funds board development
work, member engagement and legal consultation
to support a large food initiative.
- Identify objectives and goals for a Food Centre
- Support the production of Feeding Ourselves the Film by Lisa Safrik
- Our first Hire! Funding provided by CBT + RDCK to create a 1 year contract for a communications liaison for the region> Welcome Miche!
- Homesteading 101 Workshops continue to grow, and we Launch Farmsteading 101!
- 3rd annual Farm Food Fork - Growing Change - (Licensed to) Hosted by our friends at The Kaslo Food Hub
- Awarded funding from SVEDF for the purchase of kitchen & education equipment to meet our agriculture & culinary education goals.
- We seek to find collaborative options for housing food centre in Slocan; explored options with WEGCSS, The Village + The School
- We dip a toe in planning the Art & Garden Tour
- 1st Press Fest + 1000lbs picked, 3000 lb donated, 1000L sold + $1650 of juice stocks the food bank!
- Homesteading 101 Workshops continue
- Awarded funding from CBT to develop protocol,
process, and planning for seasonal food education programming, and offer programming for 12 months.
- 2 new hires! Program + Event Coordinators: Welcome Dayna & Welcome back Miche! Additional contract employment will be created for community members.
- 2nd annual Press Fest , Eat the Garden Tour & Pickle Palooza all Return for 2017!
- 4th annual Farm Food Fork will be licensed to & hosted by our friends from Fields Forward in Creston in 2017 + 2018!
- Homesteading 101 Workshops will continue and we’ll launch a new Work-Bee program for free food skills!
- Pivot our Food Centre Plans (lack of brick & mortar space) to embrace a mobile model, that allows us to meet our objects and funding requirements by offering food skills at any site; from schools & farm fields to commercial kitchens.
IF YOU LOVE KOOTENAY FOOD
... As much as we do, then joining our co-op is a great way to support our work and initiatives. As a WKPCo-op member you can engage with like-minded folks intersted in seeing our region become more resilient and Good Food focused, Grounded in Permaculture ethics while growing our economy around sustainable agriculture.
- Discount on workshops and events.
- Members Only Learning Opportunities
- Contribution to our solutions based community organization having net positive impacts on the region.
- Be part of seasonal socials hosted by WKPCA to connect with like minded individuals in the community and become more active in creating positive change.
- membership inquiries can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org
3 STEP MEMBERSHIP SIGN UP PROCESS
- Download the WKPCo-op Membership Agreement-2017
- Fill the co-op membership form out and email it to: email@example.com
- Use the link to the left to purchase your share.
SIMPLE, ONCE THESE 3 STEPS ARE COMPLETE YOU WILL RECEIVE A MEMBERSHIP CARD IN THE MAIL AND BE SIGNED UP TO OUR MEMBERS ONLY MAILING LIST, AND RECEIVE INVITES AND INFO ON HOW TO ENGAGE MORE WITH YOUR CO-OP!